Thursday, September 1, 2011

Helping Hamburger

I think I have the food editor's version of writer's block.

I don't want to cook, think about cooking, grocery shop for cooking or anything else that has to do with cooking.  I think Zuddy and Noodle are sick of looking into an empty fridge.  Zuddy's even been joking about it:  he opened the fridge door the other day and shouted, "Hel-LOOOOO!"  to see if he could hear his echo.  Oh he's a real freaking riot.

So the other day I was shopping and saw Hamburger Helper on sale. 


I picked up a box and bought it.  Then I made it for dinner.

 

Was it delicious?  No. 

Did I care?  Not really.

Noodle wouldn't touch it, and when Zuddy came in the door, she said to him, "Do you like Hamburger helper?"

Zuddy: "No, why?"

Noodle: "Mom made it for dinner."

Zuddy:  "No she didn't."

Then he looked at me with crazy panicked eyes and said, "No you didn't.....did you?"  His voice got kind of high and squeaky when he said it and he walked quickly to the kitchen to get a look at it.

Sheesh.  You would've thought I substituted.....I don't know......one of our neighbors all chopped up or something for the ground beef.

Do you guys ever have this issue?  It's been going on for a while now.  Help me.

4 comments:

Thirkellgirl said...

I think that's hysterical. I get that way sometimes. All of a sudden this summer I decided I was NOT in charge of food and did a very passive-aggressive "oh, is it dinnertime? Is it my job to figure out what we're eating?" which felt good but wasn't very productive. We have cereal in the cabinet and lunchmeat, that's a perfectly reasonable dinner when I don't feel like cooking. 'Cause they aren't the boss of me and I've been doing this for 24 years!

Cutzi said...

Hmm... I haven't felt like cooking for weeks but you know, that's the nausea.

Perhaps???

;-)

Let's get serious. This is the book you need: http://www.fixfreezefeast.com/

It's actually pretty amazing. Great recipes. You don't have to do as much shopping or preparing so regularly.

I miss you Martz!! And I don't say that because of you - I feel like I sort of dropped off the face of the earth for a while!

And when all else fails.. just pull out the hamburger helper. If they don't like it they can cook something gourmet for themselves. ;-)

Michelle said...

Zud cracks me up. When I can't stand the sight of the kitchen, we have Trader Joe's frozen meals. Or Kris picks up a rotisserie chicken on the way home from work. Or we have eggs for dinner a lot.

Hopefully Zud and Noodle understand how lucky they are that Hamburger Helper constitutes an emergency situation rather than a nightly occurrence.

KaseysKrazyMommy said...

Regularly! Mine are older and younger than yours... but you would think that I was a short order cook or something. And ideas!? Don't ask them! Just don't make the wrong stuff... sometimes I just go in my bedroom and don't come out until after an acceptable length of time to see if they've eaten. Most times no... then I have an excuse to serve cold cereal for supper, since it's so close to time to get ready for bed... at least that is how I justify it in my crazy mind :)